E-readers are a handy technology that users tend to rely on. They are convenient and easy to travel with, which makes them ideal for many bookworms. The technology isn’t for everybody however, so it’s essential to take the features into consideration when deciding if it’s right for you.
What are the choices?
E-readers are primarily devices that display e-books, although some have additional capabilities, such as Internet connectivity. The most common choices are the Amazon Kindle, the Sony Reader and Barnes & Noble’s Nook.
Some people are also using tablets like the iPad for their e-reader capabilities. However, these tablets generally do a lot more than just display e-books.
- E-readers are extremely portable, which is great for any person who likes to read during vacation or a business trip
- Another travel bonus – if you are in a foreign country, you can still download an e-book in the language you choose, instead of seeking out an accommodating bookstore.
- Books are often more affordable than you will find in normal bookstores.
- Privacy – you probably don’t want everyone to know if you’re reading a self-help book. If you’re using an e-reader, they won’t be able to tell.
- All of your books are in a single place.
- Depending on the style of e-reader or tablet, you might not be able to read in direct sunlight because of screen glare.
- Cost – although you may pay less for books than you normally would, e-readers generally cost upwards of $140.
- If you’re accustomed to shopping in used bookstores, these books will cost a great deal more than you’re used to spending.
- Lending books isn’t always a possibility.
- All of your books are in a single place – if you lose your e-reader, you’re losing all of your books if you do not buy a replacement.
As with any other decision concerning buying a new device, this decision should be based on personal preference. Some people really like the convenience of being able to have all of their books with them everywhere they go. Others appreciate the weight and feel of a real book and enjoy being able to display all their books on a shelf for the world to see.
If you’re thinking about purchasing an e-reader, take a look at this article on the advantages of the technology, and where it may be headed.